Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Jesus,Feel Free to Interrupt!

I was upstairs preparing for Youth Group. I had to set up the projector and computer for the message and worship for the evening. Its always the same....

1. Hook up the computer.
2. Hook up the projector.
3. Make sure the words are right.
4. Turn on the projector and adjust the picture.

This day, when I turned on the projector to adjust the picture, I realized that Jesus was in the way. You might be thinking.... Kel what in the world are you talking about? You see the wall we use for the words and power point is empty and bare. There is nothing on it and so the words are easy to read and the picture clear. But, this time, in the middle of the wall was a picture of Jesus. You have all the seen the one I am talking about. Its the profile shot. Long hair, white robe... That picture was right overtop the words and images for worship. I immediately looked to my friend and said "Hey can you put Jesus in the closet?" We chuckled for a second and then realized what an awesome opportunity and amazing illustration we had right there in front of us....

How often do we think of Jesus as an interruption. Now before you shout NEVER and before you close this site and walk away offended.... stop and think. How often does something happen in our lives where we are annoyed or impatient or think, this is in inconvenience. "It would be so much easier if"....(you fill in the rest). I know that I have. I know that I do often! I don't like interruptions in my life. I want to know the who, what, WHEN, where and WHY! I like to have an idea and a plan. I get grumpy when the plan falls thru and something that seems like an interruption gets in the way.

Jesus interrupts our lives for a reason... a purpose. His interruptions are for our benefit even if they do cause pain or a detour in "our plan." Rest assured that if He is interrupting, it is out of LOVE. You see He is more interested in our character then He is in our comfort. Instead of putting Him in the closet, lets worship and live with Him in the middle of our words and images. Lets learn to treasure those interruptions and look for His will and the lesson that He is teaching. It might not be easy.... It might require some effort and some adjustment on our part but its worth every perceived setback and every imagined annoyance.

He loves you... think about that. He loves you! Cling to that love and learn to welcome His interruptions.

No comments: