Monday, February 25, 2008

Dare to be.

I think there is something in the water....
Or maybe something that we are eating?
Ok, not the water or the food but perhaps our age and our spot along the journey.

I have had conversation after conversation with my family, with my friends but most importantly with God about marriage and relationships and love. I am growing and learning alot. I am being challenged and encouraged to think outside the "norm" established by this world and to look beyond what I "feel" to what I "know."

It's no secret that I want to find my life partner. That person who loves the Lord and is truly dedicated to sharing their faith and their relationship with Jesus with others. A person who I can believe in and support. One that will lead me and our children and be the head of our household. It's also no secret that for whatever reason, that hasn't happened in my life. Let me be INCREDIBLY honest with you right now and say that it has been a huge struggle for me. The lonliness that comes from being by yourself is VERY real and incredibly difficult to overcome at times. I think that it is safe to say that I have been frustrated by God's timing in this area of my life.

I do not think that we are asked or expected to be "content" in our singleness. I do not think that God wants us to be comfortable in our lonliness. I know that He understands the pain and the emptiness that we feel. The desires that I have to be a mom, to find a husband, to have a family, to support my husband ..... these are from God.

What I have been reminded of, is that my timing is not God's timing. As my good friend, has so candidly reminded me, "Its not about me.... Its about God!" What I need is the Love of My Savior. What I should be focusing on is His Love and His plan for my Life. If I am trusting him with the details of my life .... truly trusting Him, then I have to let go of my timing and my plans. If He is the pilot then He gets to make those decisions. I don't think that makes it easy and certainly its unenjoyable at times; but it is necessary!

Why is it necessary? Because when we try to do things our way; with our rules and our lists and our requirements, we lose out on what God can accomplish. We put parameters on what He can do and say "God, if what you want is someone who is this, likes this, looks like this and thinks this, then OK. But if.... (you fill in the blank) then I'm not interested!" Sound familar?

Don't misunderstand me. It is necessary to have standards. We deserve to be choosy in who our partner is. Dating everyone who comes into our paths who is attrative or likes the same things we like is not wise. It is more then that.... It is deeper then that!

Think back to the time in your life when you felt the closest and the most at peace with Him. Now think about why you felt that way..... Chances are its because you let go. You switched seats with Him and let Him have control of the plane. Then why do we struggle with the doing the same for our love life? Why can't we give up the controls?

He has great plans for us. If we want to be truly obedient to Him and desire to Love him above everything and everyone else in this world, then let go. What do we have to lose? Obviously, doing things our way, isn't working!

Who knows you the best in this world..... God! He knows you better then you know you and certainly better then any other person on this world. Why not let Him be in control?

Who loves you the most in this world....God! More then your mom and dad, more then your best friend and more then your husband/wife ever will. Why not let Him be in control?

If what I said is causing your heartbeat to elevate and your hands to get a bit clammy and your throat to get a little dry..... GOOD! I have your attention. Get ready for this next thing OK....
You were designed to be GREAT! You were not designed to settle or to be ordinary. You, my brother and sister in Christ, were created to knock their socks off! Don't settle for mediocre! Don't settle for ordinary! Dare to be GREAT in the name and for the glory of Christ! Take some risks and let go! If the idea of being single and alone terrifies you.... then dare to take the risk and let go! Let God work and be amazed!

I think a good friend of mine said it best: I NEED God. I WANT a family and a husband but I NEED God.

He is the only source of true happiness and ultimate joy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kelly! I really like your writings. I love your vulnerability in a world that tries to make us be hard as stone. I think you ended it perfectly with how much we NEED God. Like with finding a job, I have realized that my real job is to serve the Lord. Whatever else I do is and should be supplemental to that. You are awesome!
Love,
Catherine

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly. I am not sure if this will show up or not. I tried to do it a minute ago and I am not sure if it worked...

I love your vulnerability in a world that makes us feel we should be hard as stone. I think you said it best when you mentioned how much you NEED God. It helps me realize that while I am trying to be patient finding a job...my real job is to serve the Lord. Anything else is supplemental to that. You are wonderful!