Some of the choices are small like
- What am I going to wear today?
- What do I want to eat?
- What door will I use to get into the building?
I imagine that we make those choices with little or no effort and I imagine that we make those choices without stopping to pray and seek God directly for the answer.
Some of the choices we make in life are much bigger like:
- What college will I go to?
- Should I marry my girl/boy friend?
- Should I sell my house and move?
- What church should I attend....
I know that when confronted with large decisions, I often take time to seek out other opinions from family and friends. Most importantly, I pray and seek God's will for the answer and direction to take.
Whether the question is big or small, simple or complex, easy or hard, we are left with the choice. It is up to us to decide how to respond. Yes, God knows what will happen before we do but we also have Free Will to make the decision.
I don't think in any situation I have come across that God has "spoken" directly to me and given me the answer. Its not like the phone rings or I open my e-mail or check my Facebook and have a message from Him. He chooses not to operate like that.
I have the responsibility to make the decision....
to act godly or ungodly
to indulge in the sinful nature or walk way
to love my family or hold gurdges and not forgive
I don't know about you, but I definitely "feel" the responsibility of my freedom.
I owe God my best; ALL the time.
He has left it up to me and has given me the opportunity to choose....
The question that I have been asking myself this week is "How do I honor God with my freedom? What can I do to make sure that He is receiving the Glory for the choices that I am making?"
I am still working on the completeness of the answer but I know it starts with Loving Him. I know that when I submit to His will and choose to "live by the Spirit" that He is Glorified. I think that involves several things...
- a desire to hear what He is saying - thru prayer, thru worship, thru my pastor, thru the people in my life
- a readiness to obey God's Word - not just some of it. not just the parts the like; but ALL of it. A committment to seeking His will thru scripture.
- and a sensitivity to discern between my feelings and thoughts and His promptings.
The other part of this answer lies with serving each other.... to "Love your neighbor as yourself." We all know that is easier said then done. But when I make the decision to love and to serve the people that God loves, He is glorified. It also results in unity of the body of Chirst. United, standing together, we are much stronger and able to defend ourselves against Satan and our sinful nature.
I think that the final part of this answer lies in my committment and determination to speak the Gospel with boldness and clarity. God is glorified when we take the opportunities He gives us to reach out to others with the Good news of Salvation.
When I do these things with my life something great and wonderful happens to me. I have a peace in my heart. I have a peace in my soul and in my life that is from Christ. That peace is the direct result of my God being glorified and honored becuase of my decisions and actions.
"The freedom to do your best means nothing unless you are willing to do your best." — Colin Powell
No comments:
Post a Comment