Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Expectations.

"Pray for us, too, that God will give us many opportunities to speak about his mysterious plan concerning Christ. That is why I am here in
chains" (Colossians 4:3, NLT).
Paul was in prision as he wrote these words! His surroundings and his circumstances were dismal. I don't think many of us would argue that if he threw in the towel, he gave up to easily. His surroundings were anything but ideal, his circumstances anything but easy. Doors were closing all around him. There certainly appeared to be "limitations" to his mission and his purpose. But Paul didn't see it like that. Instead he remain focued on a God that is limitless.
This verse really challenges me. So often in my life when things are not going according to plan or get really difficult, I want to throw in the towel, stop taking the risks, quit making myself vunerable and become a recluse in my safe little world. I fail too often in recognizing the power that is God. He promises to walk with me and sends the Holy Spirit to be with me. Those feelings to shut down and become cut off from sharing and investing with others are not from God. He is still there and He is still working in my life.
I think that part of this problem comes from an issue of expectations. I expect to much of people and surroundings and don't expect enough of God. There is a dream in my heart that He has planted there and no matter how many times I fall or get hurt or burned I have to keep expecting and keep believing that He is opening doors of opportunity to share the Gospel with other people. It is my responsibility as a servant of Christ to create those opportunities and live expecting Him to not fail me.
The issue of expectations is not an easy one to overcome for me but it is necessary if I want to become the person that God desires. All I have and all I need comes from God. Not from people, or places or things but HIM.
What would happen if we not only believed that but if we all lived that truth?

No comments: