So this weekend I went to the Southern Living Christmas Show with 7 other women!
It involved a 4 hour car ride down, upteen hours walking around in a crowded civic center, snoring sleepers, suitcase survival, and mall sprints. I should also let you know that in the last two and half years my desire to shop has dwindled to a minute nothing so this was not the ideal way to spend my weekend. In fact, I was joking with some friends that I was going to skip the show and go down the street to watch the Saturday College Football games! (GO HOKIES!) I wanted to spend time with the people but didn't necessarily want to shop for 10 hours.
But, God had a plan for this weekend and the results were amazing! I was set to drive my SUV down with my mom and aunt. We had to take more then one vehicle because of the number of people going. As the date approached, I grew completely dissatisfied with this plan and didn't want to drive .... AT ALL! I also didn't want to complain or speak up against the decision we had previously made, but in the end one of the young girls that was going decided she wanted to drive instead. I offered to ride down with her and keep her company instead of riding with the older crowd.
It was early Saturday morning when we left. I was suppose to get up at 5:15 and instead slept thru my alarm and woke up paniced that I was going to cause the group to be late! In a matter of 20 minutes I walked the dog, showered, dressed, packed, did my hair and wrote a note to the dog sitter. I was ready to go at 6:05 am when Mari pulled up out front. Our trip started with music and talks about her upcoming wedding. She was filling me in on her ideas and her plans.
Suddenly, a door opened. I am not even sure how it started or what she said but all of a sudden I found myself in the middle of a beautiful conversation about Jesus and the amazing gift of salvation. For the next 90 minutes we talked about salvation, good works, baptism, committment, obedience, church and christians. Her honesty was refreshing and real. She made no apologies for what she said or her lack of understanding. She asked questions and shared experiences. Her understanding was so mature and simple.
She wanted to know and learn and grow. She was interested in understanding and in sharing. I cherished every moment of that conversation and pray that I will have the opportunity to talk to her again. I am SO thankful she is walking away with the understanding that Salvation has nothing to do with how perfect we are or how much good or bad we have done in this world. It has everything to do with the cross and love of Jesus Christ. Its not about perfection but about honesty and committment. She no longer thinks baptism is the equivalent of Salvation but an act of obedience to the Lord's commands and has a firm understanding that Salvation is deeper then the goosebumps and emotion of the moment but is one of committment and relationship.
She isn't saved .... and isn't ready yet to make that decision in her life. I will pray for her and salvation. I pray that her heart would heal from past bad experiences. I pray that God would continue to place people in her life that would be bold in sharing their testimonies and in sharing the Gospel with her. I will thank God for the opportunity to make a difference in her life and pray for more opportunities to share with her and with her family.
As we settled back into our conversation of music and weddings and life, I couldn't help but close my eyes and thank God for helping me be aware of the opportunity to share my faith and my Savior with a child He loves and longs to be in relationship with.
Well worth the trip..... I thought as a smile crossed my face and a peace settled in my soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment