Monday, June 1, 2009

the dripping faucet....

I was sitting in my friends house the other day.
A bunch of people were over. We were hanging out and talking and listening to music. The house was anything but quiet.

I was sitting on the couch engaged in conversation and all of a sudden I heard a noise. I looked up and realized the faucet in the kitchen was dripping. Must not have turned it off after my last glass of water.

I was right in the middle of listening to a friend tell a story and wanted to hear the ending so I returned to listening. As I tried to concentrate, I continued to be distracted by the sound of the dripping faucet. I was a bit annoyed. How in the world can something so quiet and discrete become such a loud deafening noise. It was WATER! How loud can it be.

Annoyed, I got up to turn off the dripping water. This tiny noise was easily overlooked by so many others but had become such a distraction to me. I could not ignore it and the more I tried the more I heard it and the louder it became.





So whats the point.....

God chooses to do his work in a quiet and subtle way; like the drip of a faucet. Its rarely in the rushing sound of a waterfall or in an oh my goodness the sink is flooding kind of way. It is so easy sometimes to overlook or even ignore the sound of the dripping water. But on that day, even with all the noise of people, talking and music, I could not have ignored the sound of the faucet if I had tried. The harder I tried the louder it was.

That is EXACTLY the way I want to live my life. No matter how "loud" life may get and no matter what the background noise may be I want the sound of the dripping faucet to be deafening to the point that I become dependent on its sound and can't function without it.

Thats how desperate I am for Him.

No comments: