Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dreams.....

As a child, I remember dreaming of becoming a lawyer.
For a while I wanted to be an astronaut.
I even went to space camp every summer!
My dreams developed in middle school and high school to be a pediatrician
Then a pediatric surgeon.

I remember a defining moment in my life.....
I was a second semester sophmore in college and got very sick.
I have Weber Christians Disease and came face to face with the realization that I may not get better and that this disease was something that would not be cured and most likely would not go away. Looking back on this moment, I see that I gave in too easily.
I decided that studying to be a doctor was most likely impossible and fulfilling the demands of medical school were almost impossible so I let go and moved on.

While letting go and moving on may not be a bad thing, I realize now that I gave up too easily on my dream. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to be a doctor and I don't want to work in the medical field. My passions have changed since that day, but what I didn't do for the longest time was dream.....

I didn't know where to go and didn't have another plan.
I had wanted to be in medicine for the longest time and didn't know any other way.
I see now that I conceeded too quickly and while I did ultimately understand that I didn't want to work in medicine I lost out on dreaming....

Dreaming of a world of possibilities.
If you talk with kids today, they will tell you of aspirations to be pro sports players, lawyers, pilots, business owners, beauty queens..... the list is endless.
Somewhere along the way we lose that.....somewhere along the way we let go of those dreams and confirm to and adapt to a life where we are not fulfilling our potential.

Now dont get me wrong.....
I am not saying that all dreams are worth pursuing.
Sometimes we have fantasies and misunderstand the important difference in dreams and in fantasies....

But, we need to dream BIG! The bigger our dreams the more we succeed.
The more passionate we are about life, the more significance we have in our part of the world we touch.

We, people, are the greatest resource this country has for lasting change.
God created us to be different and more complex then any other thing of this world.
And yet, somewhere along the way we lose the passion to dream BIG and settle for some version of ourselves and never live up to the potential we have.

So whats wrong with settling you might ask?
Because like an epidemic the idea of a mediocre life spreads like wildfire to other people......
We squelch any desire they have of becoming the best version of themselves and in following thru.

Instead of being an innovator and pioneer we lead comfortable and safe lives and conform. Let me be the first to say, that I don't dream big enough. I forget that the Creator of this Universe is capable of doing ANYTHING and is just waiting for me to ASK.

Ask BIG
Dream BIG
and be AMAZED when God comes thru!

So what happens when you dream big and succeed.....
you give other people permission to do the same.
When your light shines bright and people see the difference you are making and the impact you have, you unconsciously allow them to do and be the same.

Imagine the greatness and significance that has for this world.
A world that is missing out and under utilizing its greatest resource,
US!

No comments: