
I am not really sure how to title this entry or even how to start this post. I had a conversation a couple of months ago with some amazing friends (LOVE YOU GUYS!) about salvation and whether someone is "truly" saved or if it is just a show or just a spur of the moment emotion.....
It all started with a conversation I had with my mom about a co-worker. Mom and I were talking about this co-worker who claimed to be Christian but was repeatedly breaking one of the ten commandments. When confronted with their sin, this person said that they didn't need to worry about it because God would forgive them.
Now I don't know which commandment and honestly I don't really care.... sin is sin. What I am interested in focusing on is the idea of repentance and forgiveness.
I have been thinking about this alot lately.
The idea of constantly screwing up and falling short of the holiness God desires and having to time and time again go and seek forgiveness from our Father. How do you know if you are truly forgiven? What is the measure of authenticity?
After much prayer and much thought and conversation, the first important thing to know is that forgiveness is between you and God. Only the two of you know the state of your heart and mind. Second, you must ASK for forgiveness which implies that you have sinned and that you RECOGNIZE that sin as a barrier in your relationship with God. You must admit and understand that what you did was wrong. Finally, after admitting your sin and asking for forgiveness you can receive the forgivenss that God offers.
The offer is always there... ALWAYS! God is constantly ready to hand you forgivenss and wipe your slate clean. He wants you to ACCEPT his forgiveness. But, before you can, you must recognize that you have sinned. Not only must you recognize the sin, but you must realize that it is wrong and ASK for forgiveness.
This brings me full circle to my original quesion of salvation.... If someone is saved and if someone has accepted Christ into their life the focus should not be on the shortcut to heaven.....In other words, the ultimate joy and happiness in life comes from knowing and having a personal relationship with God. When you desire that, you don't look for shortcuts and ways to justify your sinful behavior as mom's co-worker did. Instead, you constantly turn to the Lord and admit your flaws and ask for forgivenss. You seek opportunities to be obedient and look for ways to serve and bring glory and honor to Christ Jesus!
Let me just say that behaving sinfully may result in short-term fun but real joy and real happiness comes from trying to lead a pure and righteous life. That "fun" from sin is temporary and empty. The joy from living with the Lord is real and full! Look to walk with the Lord and be obedient to the life He calls us to lead. Admit your sin and ask for forgivenss. Accept His forgiveness and give thanks to Him for His Grace and unfailing love!
Dont take that for granted!
Father God, Thank you for your Son. Thank you for His sacrifice on that cross. Lord, I admit to you that I am a sinful person. Place conviction on my heart that I might know when I have sinned and turned from You. God, help me to fight the weakness of my flesh. God I praise you for your forgivness and thank You for that gift that You extend to me. God, my desire is to be in constant relationship with You. Lord, I want my thoughts and my obsession to be You! Lord, help me to stay focused on the real and complete joy that comes from knowing and serving You! God I love you with my heart and soul! Thank you for loving me. --Amen
It all started with a conversation I had with my mom about a co-worker. Mom and I were talking about this co-worker who claimed to be Christian but was repeatedly breaking one of the ten commandments. When confronted with their sin, this person said that they didn't need to worry about it because God would forgive them.
Now I don't know which commandment and honestly I don't really care.... sin is sin. What I am interested in focusing on is the idea of repentance and forgiveness.
I have been thinking about this alot lately.
The idea of constantly screwing up and falling short of the holiness God desires and having to time and time again go and seek forgiveness from our Father. How do you know if you are truly forgiven? What is the measure of authenticity?
After much prayer and much thought and conversation, the first important thing to know is that forgiveness is between you and God. Only the two of you know the state of your heart and mind. Second, you must ASK for forgiveness which implies that you have sinned and that you RECOGNIZE that sin as a barrier in your relationship with God. You must admit and understand that what you did was wrong. Finally, after admitting your sin and asking for forgiveness you can receive the forgivenss that God offers.
The offer is always there... ALWAYS! God is constantly ready to hand you forgivenss and wipe your slate clean. He wants you to ACCEPT his forgiveness. But, before you can, you must recognize that you have sinned. Not only must you recognize the sin, but you must realize that it is wrong and ASK for forgiveness.
This brings me full circle to my original quesion of salvation.... If someone is saved and if someone has accepted Christ into their life the focus should not be on the shortcut to heaven.....In other words, the ultimate joy and happiness in life comes from knowing and having a personal relationship with God. When you desire that, you don't look for shortcuts and ways to justify your sinful behavior as mom's co-worker did. Instead, you constantly turn to the Lord and admit your flaws and ask for forgivenss. You seek opportunities to be obedient and look for ways to serve and bring glory and honor to Christ Jesus!
Let me just say that behaving sinfully may result in short-term fun but real joy and real happiness comes from trying to lead a pure and righteous life. That "fun" from sin is temporary and empty. The joy from living with the Lord is real and full! Look to walk with the Lord and be obedient to the life He calls us to lead. Admit your sin and ask for forgivenss. Accept His forgiveness and give thanks to Him for His Grace and unfailing love!
Dont take that for granted!
Father God, Thank you for your Son. Thank you for His sacrifice on that cross. Lord, I admit to you that I am a sinful person. Place conviction on my heart that I might know when I have sinned and turned from You. God, help me to fight the weakness of my flesh. God I praise you for your forgivness and thank You for that gift that You extend to me. God, my desire is to be in constant relationship with You. Lord, I want my thoughts and my obsession to be You! Lord, help me to stay focused on the real and complete joy that comes from knowing and serving You! God I love you with my heart and soul! Thank you for loving me. --Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment