Monday, July 23, 2007

Getting Paid What you Deserve

So, I am reading this book right now title "What's so Amazing about Grace?" by Philip Yancey. I just started it and already LOVE the lessons and the points that he makes. I encourage ALL of you to pick up a copy and read it some day.... Its a great book.

So, I was reading the other day about getting "paid" what you deserve... Sounds good right? If we work 8 hours, we want to be paid 8 hours. We DESERVE it. If we put in 10 hours and someone else only puts in 4 we DESERVE more money and more recognition. Certainly, thats what we like to think.....

Now, lets stop to consider for a second the "dues" that we have paid in life.... How does our time compare to God's time? How does our sacrifice compare to God's sacrfice? Worded differently, what do we REALLY DESERVE!?!? Kind of puts a different perspective on it huh?

If we were "paid" on merit what a dismal, horrible, sad life we would live! What would happen if God said, "I only want people to get what they desrve - nothing more, nothing less?" Got the butterflies in your stomach? Feel good about your "paycheck." Won the lottery? NOT ME! I would be poor and homeless....

Guess what, God doesn't demand perfection for a relationship with Him. He doesn't require us to be "perfect" before he Loves us. I am so thankful that God doesn't say that to me... He doesn't say that to ANY of us if we seek Him and recognize Him as Savior.

Instead, He gives everything we DON'T deserve..... forgiveness, love, mercy, grace, second chances, third chances...........two thousand chances. The gospels tell us that He died for US and because of the "price" He paid, our dues are free!

Think about that.... all your sins wiped clean! All the burdens you carry lifted. All the trash cleaned up! How AMAZING! He cares about you enough to pay the price for you.... A price so extravagent it would bankrupt you or me..... Now that is GRACE!

I got what I didn't deserve. I deserved a Pinto and He gave me a Porsche!

Father God, I love you so much! Thank you God for sending your Son Jesus to dies for Me! Thank You God for loving me and accepting me, imperfect and all. God thank you for NOT giving me what I deserve but instead, accepting me exactly as I am.... God help me grow and draw close to You! Lord, I live my life for you... I love you and my prayer is that this life that you have blessed me with, brings joy and honor and glory to You! -- Amen

No comments: